Monday, December 22, 2008

Prairie tree ornaments become a future project

A recent article in The Daily Record opened up a new interest - scroll sawn prairie tree Christmas ornaments. The ornaments by Glenn Tschantz of Orrville, Ohio, are three dimensional and involve a lot of fret work. Most popular after the Civil War, they have a delicate and detailed Victorian look. I found a book at Border's, Holiday Ornaments for the Scroll Saw, by Rick and Karen Longabaugh, owners of The Berry Basket Collection. Full of over 300 patterns, it appears many are three dimensional and ornate like the ones produced by Mr. Tschantz. They certainly will be a step up from my present scroll saw work.
I made some simpler ornaments this year that were featured in a project article in Wood magazine, November, 2007. I stacked two pieces of thin plywood together with a layer of copper in between. I turned the metal picture into the front of a Christmas card to each of my relatives. They each got a matching wooden ornament. Four of the seven designs are included in this picture. They are cut from 1/4" baltic birch plywood and finished with a satin polyurethane spray finish.
I'll look forward to trying some of the more complicated designs to decorate our own tree next year.

No comments: