Friday, December 12, 2008

European pen kits


The latest trip to the wood shop was to work on making some pen kits. I had two Cigar pen kits to complete and ten European pen kits (pictured left) to start.
I used wood blanks that I had in my left-overs to do the two cigar pens. But for the European pens I used rosewood blanks and thuya burl blanks that I had purchased at Berea Hardwoods in Cleveland.
There have always been two times in the process of making the pens when disaster strikes. The first is when drilling the hole in the wood blank for the brass tube. Some woods and plastics tend to break in the last half inch. The other time is when turning. If the wood fragments or the glue is not coated over all the brass tubing, the wood will shatter while turning - again usually just as you are about to finish!
Well, I experienced these disasters a couple of times. But I had prepared more wood blanks than I would actually need so I was able to complete the turnings for all of the pens. Both pens seem to look better with darker woods; however, the burl and plastic samples are attractive.
Now will come the really fun part. I am going to finish each of the pens using the Beall wood buffing system. I have really enjoyed the feel and look of turnings when I use the tripoli, white diamond, and carnauba wax with the buffing wheels. Can't wait to see the pens with that smooth and gleaming finish.
My next turning time will turn some bottle stopper kits - some really nice chromed kits from Berea Hardwoods and some "cheapie" plastic ones from a craft store. In either case, the finish should be first class.

No comments: