Monday, December 8, 2008

Turning handles

I got to spend parts of three days in my wood shop. I completed several screw driver handles and three "spurtles" as well as clean up the workshop and prep it for my next visit.
I used the screw driver handle pattern from an October, 2006 American Woodworker and some 4-in-1 kits from Rockler for this project. The pattern is a hefty handle that should provide for an excellent grip. I made several out of maple, one cherry, and one paduak. The paduak and maple handles are shown in the picture.
I used the same handle pattern to make several spurtles. Now I just have to find relatives or friends who make enough oatmeal to use one. I do think they would make effective stirrers and would not damage the finish on the pot.
I used the Beall Wood Buff System to finish the turnings. The system uses three cloth wheels - "The all-flannel tripoli buff will level out the finish and remove any scratches, the flannel/cotton mix white diamond buff takes out any remaining small scratches and begins to polish, and the all-cotton carnauba wax buff yields a high gloss polish, similar to a lacquer finish." It is an amazing transformation to watch. The finish just invites you to pick up the handle and feel how smooth it is. I can't wait to try this on some other turnings.
Finally, after several frustrated attempts with brass inserts for bottle stoppers, I contacted the instructor at Woodcraft in Bedford Heights who gave me some hints to adapt the hole size for various hardnesses of wood. So, I'll have to try that project again.
Bowls and bottle stoppers are my next projects for Christmas gifts.

No comments: