Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Suggestions to Santa Claus

Most of the people who give me Christmas gifts have no idea what to buy me for my shop. In past years my wife has purchased a major shop machine (lathe, joiner, Leigh jig, etc). One of those machines and a few small catalogue items and my Christmas was complete. Now I am at a stage where I really don't need any more machines. So I will start a list of some smaller, but not necessarily inexpensive, wood working items that I would enjoy having.
#1 on my list is a good low-angle block plane.
Woodcraft sells Groz block planes. They have a heavy cast iron body, accurately ground surfaces, lateral adjustment levers, and black enamel finish.
The Low Angle Plane has a 1-3/8" iron set at 12° and an adjustable
Groz Low Angle Block Plane, catalogue #146074 Price:$27.50. They can be ordered directly from http://www.woodcraft.com/

The other example of this same kind of low angle block plane is made by Lie-Nielsen. This is said to be the best brand of planes available - and the price suggests that they are right.
They feature sturdy ductile cast iron bodies and 1-3/8" by 1/8" thick blades.
The surface ground body is perfectly flat and a movable shoe allows precise, easy control of the mouth opening for adaptation to the work at hand.
The bronze cap iron comfortably fits the hand and is tensioned with a 1-1/2" brass spin wheel. The low angle iron is set at 12-1/2ยบ. Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane These can be purchased through Woodcraft or directly from the maker at http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1221. It is significantly cheaper to buy this plane from Lie-Nielsen
Finally, another superior brand is Veritas from Lee Valley. This unit is slightly more in cost, $145.00, catalogue number 05P22.01
I would be grateful to Santa for any one of these. Don't feel too trapped because I will make other suggestions of other gifts later.

No comments: