Sunday, October 26, 2008

Big time shop cleanup and reorganization

This weekend I spent all day Saturday and half of Sunday in my work shop cleaning, reorganizing, moving, installing - everything to get the shop to a state that it is enjoyable to work in.

I finally trimmed all of the cherry bowl blanks I salvaged from the neighbor's fallen cherry tree. Now I will store them for awhile. This picture shows all the blanks loaded and ready to go into the basement storage room. Each of the blanks is coated with Anchor Seal - a waxy liquid that protects the end grain from drying too quickly. Most of the blanks are in the 5" to 6 1/2" range with two that are 9" blanks. At least one of the finished bowls will have to go back to our neighbor as a thank you for letting me have the wood and as a reminder of the tree that fell during our visit from Hurricane Ike.

I did a tremendous amount of moving equipment around, putting a new butcher block counter top on one of my work benches and creating a second workbench for my sanding equipment. The place still looks messy but I think I have things headed toward neatness and ease of use. More pictures of the shop next week.


The only wood working that I did this weekend was to do my first veneering. I had purchased but never used a unit that uses a hand pump to create the vacuum. Since I had been to a class recently that glossed rather quickly over veneering, I wanted to try out the unit that I had. The veneer on both sides is taped to the plywood. There is a plastic mesh sleeve that covers the work piece and all of this is sealed inside a heavy plastic bag. The hand pump quickly removes the air and puts pressure on the work piece to help adhere the veneer to the plywood. The piece is the lid panel for a box. The panel is veneered with bird's eye maple on both sides of 1/4" plywood. The insert will sit in a frame of mahogany. It will be next week before I can return to check out the veneering to see if it is ready for installation in the mahogany frame. More pictures on this later.

No comments: