Saturday, November 1, 2008

More cleanup and progress on projects

I've been back to the work shop twice since my last post. The continuing cleanup and organization is helping me make some progress on several projects. Here's a view of the storage section that separates the workshop from the car parking area.

My first attempt at veneering was a bust! The veneer seemed to form into high ridges at the seam in the middle and all over each piece. I don't know why it happened. For my second attempt I decided to do one side at a time and to use a plywood caul to spread the pressure more evenly over the veneer. This seemed to work well as my second try was very nice looking. I have now glued the second side and have it in the vacuum press.

I used a model that a fellow wood worker posted on the web to build a spline jig for the table saw. I added a miter track runner and two clamps to the model to make it even more efficient. It is now ready to use whenever I have the box lid completed.

I have also made four holders for quilter's plastic rulers. One was specifically requested by a Tree City Quilter and the other three will be given to that organization to auction or sell. These were made of mahogany and ranged from 14" to 10" long.
While I was sanding these rulers, I decided to make some progress on a cherry chest that has been sitting half done for a year. I planed and sanded one drawer box and its door front in preparation for putting on the first coat of sealer.

Finally, I also put cherry edging around the sharpening station counter top. It is clamped and drying now. The next steps will be to chamfer the edges and add the miter track. I have the case work cut but not dadoed and have the face frame pieces cut to raw dimensions. I should make some substantial progress on that on my next visit.

No comments: