Sunday, September 7, 2008

Split Turned Vases


I attended a class, "Split Turned Vases" at Woodcraft in Cleveland. I had no idea what a split turned vase would be but I signed up for the course to experience something new in turning. This was labeled an intermediate class and I was also unsure at what level I would describe my abilities - I was sensing it might be a stretch to call my turning skills intermediate.

It was a class of four turners scheduled to last from 9:30 until 5:30. We had an hour for lunch and were done by 4:30 but this also included some time to shop in the Woodcraft store!

You can see the three pages of instruction sheets for this project at my web album. We completed a cherry vase with a 3/8" inlay.

The basic approach of this project is to cut a rounded blank into two sections with a lip similar to a box lip. The unique instructions are to hollow out the top and bottom sections with a round nose scraper instead of hollowing tools or a bowl gouge. You then glue the two sections back together, make a recess for the inlay over the top of the glue line, and attach the inlay strip. Then you finish the top, cut off the chuck section, and drill an access hole in the top. The finish we used was two coats of Armor Seal buffed with 320 grit in between coats followed by two applications of Crystal Clear wax.

It is a relatively easy project that makes a really nice gift.

No comments: