Monday, September 22, 2008

British firm repairs my mistakes

I took my three skews and one Sorby Spindlemaster to a sharpening class at Woodcraft. Sharpening is, admittedly, something I knew nothing about. And it seems that as I try to learn how to sharpen, I am discovering that I was making all kinds of mistakes.

I had these three skews but had never learned to properly sharpen or use them. After learning how to set up the skew attachment for the Wolverine Sharpening System, I was able to get a good edge on all three. We also spent some time in using the skews. So I think I can safely use and sharpen the skews in my shop.

The Sorby Spindlemaster was a different story. I had used the tool successfully and tried to sharpen it. Unfortunately, it is a tool that is not to be ground, but honed only. I essentially was taking away all the good attributes of the tool by what I did. The sharpening class instructor said, "The best thing to do is see if Sorby will repair it."

So, I found the email address for Sorby, a British company, and sent them an inquiry yesterday - a Sunday afternoon. Later that same day I received an email from "Clive" at Sorby offering to repair my tool. They said, "We are happy to re-hone your Spindlemaster free of charge as a service to you. All we ask is you cover the cost of shipping both ways.
If you can package it very securely with the cutting edge well guarded and ship to our address and for the attention of Lindsey Reynolds."
Robert Sorby
Athol road
Sheffield
England
S8 0PA
What a nice gesture on their part.
So my class was a success: I learned to sharpen skews, I had a lessen in their use, I learned to not grind on a Spindlemaster, and I learned there is a charitable maker of quality lathe tools. Not a bad learning experience.




No comments: