Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cherry Logs to Bowl Blanks

Today Mary Lou and I transformed five pieces of cherry log into a bunch of various size bowl blanks. It took about an hour to process all the pieces with me cutting and Mary Lou packaging the bowl blanks in paper or plastic bags until I can get them to the wood shop.
My chain saw had a work out handling the size of these logs but we should have several large and medium size bowl blanks. Tomorrow we will take them to the wood shop and begin the next step in the process: cutting them round on the band saw and setting the center for turning. I will probably have to wait until this weekend to actually turn the bowl blanks to their rough shape.
Since this was my first attempt at converting green logs into bowl blanks I don't know exactly how to rate what I did today. It seemed like I had some trouble getting the chain saw cuts to line up with previous cuts. I will see how that impacts the turning process.
Check out all the photos of this step in my web album.

No comments: