Monday, December 26, 2011

Shop move temporarily interrupted by playtime

I have a layout now for my basement shop so that I know where the major equipment will be and where I will need electric and dust pickup. I have been making one or two trips a week to the lake house to bring back box loads of smaller items to the new basement shop. It amazes me how much I have accumulated and now have to move from one shop to another.
I bought two new plastic storage shelves and have them now loaded with turning blanks. I incorporated the shelving units I had at the lake along with the two new ones and now have them pretty well full of wood, project materials and hand tools.
I still have to disassemble a work bench and the table saw before the machinery can be moved. I also need to take down an air cleaner and ceiling fixtures to bring back. After all of that I can build the dividing wall to separate the shop from the other half of the basement. The final step will be adding the electricity and dust collection to areas of the shop. That is probably going to take most of the month of January to accomplish.

So I was feeling a little tired of all work and no play in the shop. I had started working on a Christmas ornament project and decided to bring just enough tools up to the new shop to complete the project. I will end up making Christmas ornaments after Christmas. Being able to work on a project, even a late one, trumps packing and toting anytime. The project uses basswood and brass tubing to make older style Christmas lights. I used red, blue, green, orange, and yellow dyes to color the bulbs and spray gloss lacquer to finish them.

Cutting the tubing into 1/2 inch segments was a little more challenging than I thought but the major challenge was trying to reproduce a consistent shape for the bulb body. Even with a template the variations in the shapes was considerable. I will post a picture of the range of colors later. It was fun to take a break.