Friday, December 9, 2011

Quilted maple bowl

A teacher/friend of mine from West Virginia, Joe Smith, gave me a couple pieces of wood when I took a class from him this fall: two pieces of quilted maple. I have been to Cedar Lakes Conference Center in Ripley, WV a number of times to take classes with Joe. He is an excellent turner and teacher.

The first blank turned into a shallow bowl with rim with some of the most vibrant quilting I have ever seen.

It is 12 inches round by 2 3/4 inches high. the rim is 1 inch wide. In the picture the grain in running horizontally while the quilting runs vertically. The photo does not do the bowl justice since the quilting is acutally more evident than the grain.

I put on four coats of urethane oil and then buffed and waxed with the Beall Polishing system.