Friday, August 21, 2009

Woodturning can be contagious


We had a family reunion and my brother, Ron, and his family from Texas were able to spend a week with us. He helped me get the garage cleaned up in preparation for the reunion and we had a day and a half together to play in the wood shop.
Ron has been a wood worker for a lot of years and has done some spindle turning for a crib that he made for his grandsons and granddaughter. He hadn't turned any bowls so we set him up with a couple blanks to start practicing.
He is a fast learner and his skills quickly developed. There is a distinctive sound when you "get a catch" and usually a noticeable gouge in the wood when you turn off the lathe. He had to experience the catches in order to learn to control the gouge. He uttered some "Ooops" sounds but he did improve quickly.
Ron made several "treasures" that documented his first attempts.
Then he quickly began to make some really fine work. He finished the second day with a maple bowl for his daughter. I think he also left with the hopes of doing some more turning in his Texas shop.
Usually you try not to share a contagion with anyone, but this time it was really enjoyable to pass this on to my brother.
The reunion was fun and seemed to go smoothly. One of my favorite memories of that reunion will be the time Ron and I spent together in the shop just enjoying each other and playing with wood.

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

That goes double for me. It was a great week spending time with my big brother.

Ronnie