Friday, November 7, 2008

Lidded box - version 2


I copied a spline jig that I found on the Internet. I did add two clamps to hold the frame in the jig and a miter slot key to keep the jig in line. All the pieces are 3/4 Baltic birch with the exception of two hardwood braces and the miter slot key. The changes that I made make it easier to use clamps to hold the frame thereby eliminating the dangerous practice of holding it with your hand. The cuts are also more accurate with the miter key (although the spline placement is limited to 3/8" from the edge).

I used the spline jig to add paduak splines to my box lid. The saw cuts are approximately 1/8" thick and set to almost the depth of the corner angle. The paduak grain runs across the miter giving the miter a lot of extra strength. The coloration of the paduak should be an orange/yellow hue to compliment both the darker mahogany and the lighter bird's eye maple.

At the same time I trimmed the dividers for the box interior and put the first coat of wipe on poly on the box bottom and dividers. Next visit I can trim the paduak splines and apply the first coat of finish.

No comments: