Thursday, January 17, 2008

OT - My Lucky Day

Apparently, yesterday was my lucky day. I was at home to allow the cable company to change my modem and add phone service to my cable service. As an incentive for customers to bundle cable, Internet, and phone services, our cable company was having a contest. The customer received a scratch-off card which gave them a discount off their cable bill. There were several hundred $25 cards but only one $1000, two $500's, and two $400. I don't know who was more amazed at our winning $400, Mary Lou or myself. But we will be getting free cable-Internet-phone service for about the next four months!

That was only the beginning of my lucky day. I went from winning a $400 credit to passing a big test.


Since I retired I have been wanting to find some volunteer work that gave me a chance to give back to my community but that didn't get me involved in situations similar to my past career. I applied for and completed the course to become a Tax Aide for the AARP Foundation program which provides free tax help to people. (Last year over 32,000 volunteers helped over 2,000,000 customers nationwide) In order to actually become certified to do this work, I needed to attend training and pass a certification exam. Today, I handed in my exam answer sheet and found out I had passed the basic, intermediate and advanced sections of the test. I received a long sleeve denim shirt with the AARP Foundation Tax Aide logo on it. That will be my Tax Aide "uniform" when I actually start my volunteer work on Monday, February 4.
What a lucky day.

No comments: