Thursday, January 24, 2008

Logs to Bowls - Woodcraft class

I attended the "Logs to Bowls" class yesterday at the Bedford Heights, Ohio, Woodcraft store. It was taught by Harry Robinette, a store employee and accomplished wood turner. Six students spent the morning learning the processing of logs into good turning stock for bowls and vases. After lunch we each were given a section of freshly cut cherry to turn into a bowl. It was my first such green wood experience and a good training session in the use of a finger nail bowl gouge. Four hours just flew by and we had to hurry to actually get a finish on the bowls by 5:30 when it was time to leave.

I had an excellent time and produced an "almost excellent" bowl. I had done an really good job on the outside of the bowl and put it into the chuck to clear the inside. I had actually made good progress in establishing the wall of the bowl and getting the depth close to the finished bottom when disaster struck - two deep gouges that were too deep to turn out. So, if you look closely at the left interior side of the bowl you can see one of the two "decorative accents" that I added!
I learned a lot to improve how I turn in general, how I apply finish, and how to use the bowl gouge. I am now anxious to get to some of the bowl blanks I have sitting in my shop.

No comments: