Thursday, January 5, 2012

A new purpose for a hand-me-down

My parents were both office workers during their work life and both created offices in their home even after they retired. As we moved them from their house into an independent living apartment, we had to dispose of several desks, office chairs, vertical and horizontal filing cabinets, and numerous office machines.

Many of the pieces went to various family members and I got a 27 drawer cabinet which has been waiting for some time to find a purpose in my wood shop. One of the thing that I am learning about my shop as I move it from one location to another is that I have more supplies than I realized. To the point that it was easy to loose sight of what I had or didn't have in stock. So, I thought I could use the 27 drawers to organize something that had been difficult to keep organized before.

So, the cabinet now stores all my various sanding supplies. From my spindle sander rolls, through 2 inch, and 8 inch disks, to sandpaper sheets, scotch brite pads, and steel wool. All organized and labeled. It should hopefully prevent me from buying something I already have. I look forward to using it and remembering my parents as I spend time in my shop.