Saturday, December 2, 2006

Work continues on storage

We made it down to the lake house for part of yesterday and today. I got to spend yesterday afternoon and this morning working in the work shop. I put up two wood braces on the garage wall to support full size sheets of plywood so they would not bow. It's a small space in the far corner of the shop. You can see the sheet goods next to the lumber rack in the first photo. I continued to clean up and organize the shop area. I have additional cherry and oak lumber stored in Wooster that I will bring down to the shop lumber rack. All the wood on the rack is marked, sized, and stickered. I will need to do that to the new wood that I bring. This past summer I started accumulating lumber but did not have any storage set up yet. It was moved from one place to another several times. Last weekend was the first time it actually had a home. Hopefully the next time I move a piece of that wood it will be because I need it for a project.

A little background on the work shop
We purchased the house at Lake Buckhorn three years ago. We initially liked the house because it was one of the few houses on the lake that did not have steep access drives. We could drive the car all the way to the house and into the garage. That was a delightful change from our first lake house that had a steep driveway that few visitors would even try. It literally reminded you of driving off a cliff. Then you had a couple flights of stairs to get to the actual house. Needless to say carrying everything into and out of that house was a major drag. So, getting such easy access in our new house was a joy. Attached to the house was a garage with a capital "G".
The garage is huge. It is a double, two car garage that I quickly thought I could make into a regular two car garage with a work shop roughly equal to another two car garage. I commandeered the back half and began building some cabinets to create a wall work bench and some wall cabinets to go over that unit. Both are partially finished at this point. The base cabinet ideas came from some old Wood Magazine articles on the "Ideal Shop." The upper cabinet plans were from Woodsmith. I modified the design to elimate drawers below the doors to make spaces for plastic divided containers for screws and other hardware I use frequently.
The garage had been used as an exercise area with carpets glued down to the cement floor. My friend, Tim, and I power washed the floor to remove the adhesive and I put an epoxy paint on the floor in the work shop part of the garage. The remaining garage floor will done this coming spring.
When I purchased my Delta table saw, I brought it to the lake house. I also bought an old Craftsman radial arm saw on eBay and have it sitting in the corner. It needs major adjustments and updating before it will be usable. All my other power tools are still in Wooster. My goal is to finish the cabinets, complete the cherry library end table that is partially assembled, and then move the rest of my wood working machinery from Wooster into this shop.
I brought back one of the wall cabinets (you can see it on the wall over my shoulder) to sand, apply finish, hang the doors, and install the door hardware. I can take it back to the lake workshop and hang it on the French cleat on the wall. That plus finishing Christmas presents will consume this coming week.



No comments: