Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Building stilts for my grandson

When I saw this project I just knew I had to make it. It was not only a project that would require learning some new things but one that would bring back good memories from my childhood.
This spring and summer I worked on a pair of stilts for my 10 year old grandson, Dylan. I found the project in a February, 1997, Wood Magazine. The stilt legs and foot brackets are laminated ash and mahogany. The footsteps are ash and the discs at the leg tops are mahogany. Rubber tips protect the leg bottoms and nonskid tape cover the footsteps to provide traction. The footsteps are adjustable over a 20 inch range using bolts and threaded inserts. This was the first time that I laminated wood. I was concerned that it be a good glue-up since very thin pieces of wood would be supporting Dylan's weight. It was also the first time that I used threaded inserts. The plan called for using brass bolts and inserts but I was unable to find the brass bolts in the size I needed so I used steel. There are two bolts for each footstep so the inserts needed to be accurately spaced in order to allow for the height adjustments. I used nonskid tape that my wife had found in a skate board store. I used polyurethane for a finish. Overall I liked the outcome. The stilts function well and look nice.
I can remember my dad making me several pairs of stilts with steps ranging from 6 inches off the ground to a scarey 2 feet in the air. They were simple dimensional lumber with triangle footpads nailed on, but I spent a lot of time enjoying those stilts. I learned to walk down the driveway, up and down inclines and steps, and around the neighborhood.
Dylan's stilts are certainly much fancier and more finished looking than my old stilts. But I can only hope though that he gets as much fun with them as I remember having with mine.

No comments: