Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tis the gift to be simple

My friend, Tim, and I met again to complete the assembly of the Shaker boxes that we began last week. Tim was assembling a set of five graduated Shaker boxes. Their sides are made from cherry and the top is from veneered birdseye maple.

The combination of cherry with birdseye maple is just beautiful. A clear finish will allow the cherry to age from a light-reddish brown to a richer, redder color while the birdseye maple will draw your eye to the top with its yellow and brown dotted look. When we were done on Saturday, Tim was taking the assembled but unfinished boxes home for a final sanding and application of the finish. He does such fine work. I will be excited to see one of them finished.

Before Tim arrived this morning I formed and tacked a graduated set of maple boxes which I will let dry until next week. I want to finish these in a milk paint, distressed finish since I have not done that before.

Both Tim and I each worked on a presentation box which includes a section with a music box that plays "Simple Gifts." It is a more elongated box than the usual Shaker box. The box bottom is made of cedar and in much thicker than the other boxes since it is the sounding board for the music box. The box is divided into two sections: the music box section has an inner acrylic cover while the other section is open to be a storage space.

The lyrics of "Simple Gifts" is a reminder of how important it is to enjoy and maintain the simple things in life, like the friendship I have with Tim. It was so much more fun to share the wood working experience with him.
"Tis the gift to be simple
Tis the gift to be free
Tis the gift to come down
Where we ought to be."

No comments: